Peace activist John McConnell proposed the first Earth Day on March 21, 1970 (spring equinox), during a UNESCO conference. U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson founded a separate Earth Day that same year, on April 22 – Vladimir Lenin’s 100th birthday. Led by a Communist UN, people have gathered together ever since to celebrate – and worship – the universe. It looks like a new religion! But is it, really? No. Ancient Assyrians, Babylonians, Canaanites, Egyptians, Mayans, Sumerians, and other polytheistic peoples worshipped natural elements – sun, moon, stars, animals, trees, water, wind, and fire. But they didn’t know the Jehovah God who created all these things (Genesis 1-2).
Forty-five hundred years have passed since the flood and the ungodly civilizations that followed it (Genesis 8-11). Yet little has changed. Thanks to Earth Day, people are still “worshipping and serving [creation] rather than the Creator” (Romans 1:25). Feeding on the ashes of atheism and tolerance, a “deceived heart has turned” them away from the truth of Jesus Christ (Isaiah 44:20). They have exchanged it for Satan’s lies (Romans 1:25).
Do you want to celebrate Earth Day, ungodly sinners? I’ll give you a holiday, Bible style!
- “Cursed is the ground for your sake.” (Genesis 3:17)
- “Keep my statutes and my judgments … lest the land vomit you out … when you defile it, as it vomited out the nations that were before you.” (Leviticus 18:26, 28)
- “I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth: blood, fire and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood, before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.” (Joel 2:30-31)
- “The earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.” (Habakkuk 2:14)
- “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away.” (Matthew 24:35)
- “Since the creation of the world [God’s] invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead, so that [people] are without excuse.” (Romans 1:20)
- “The heavens and the earth … are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. The day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise and the elements will melt with fervent heat. Both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.” (2 Peter 3:7, 10)
- “I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away.” (Revelation 21:1)
- Earth Day (Wikipedia)
- Population Control (blog article)
- Spiritual Warfare: Cleansing the Land (blog article)
 New King James Version (NKJV), unless otherwise noted